Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Chicken (Slow Cooker Style!)

Hey, Loyal Readers! Today I'm cooking with...BBQ sauce! Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, one of my favorites :) I'll be working from a recipe that I found here which I thought looked great, but I made a few changes to it...not many, but it's a little bit different :)

So, here is what I did to the recipe. The original recipe called for red pepper flakes, which I omitted. I added garlic salt w/parsley, and McCormick's Flavor Enhancer...better known as MSG, which I love :) I put all the dry ingredients in a bowl, then added the 1/4 cup vinegar and a full 40 ounce bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, and whisked it all together. The result was an even more delicious BBQ sauce than the Sweet Baby Ray's, though I would never have thought I'd say something like that :D

This one is sweet and simple. After thoroughly whisking all ingredients together I put my frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 of them) in the slow cooker, poured the enhanced Sweet Baby Ray's over the chicken and set my cooker for low. Four to Six hours later we're going to have us some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ chicken. Pictures and ingredients list to follow.

So, I couldn't find the camera soon enough to get pictures of the meal we had. Also, I didn't end up making the biscuits to go with them. I did try a cheese kinda thing that I found through Pinterest...here's the link. I didn't use the skim milk because I didn't have any :( I used buttermilk instead...not a great idea. The cheese melted out of the breading a bit. I would add a bit of spices to your bread crumbs as well. Even though they melted out a bit, and the lack of spices notwithstanding, the cheese balls turned out pretty good.

Ingredient list for Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Chicken:

4-6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
40 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Vinegar
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt

Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. Whisk remaining ingredients together in a bowl. Pour over chicken breasts. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. Enjoy :) The op for this recipe cooked their chicken from frozen. I did the same thing, but I think it would have turned out better if I had cooked from thawed. Also, be sure to let the chicken rest for 5 minutes after cooking to retain moisture. This pic is from the op as well.

Ingredients list for Cheese Balls:

1 pkg String Cheese (I chose the mozzarella variety)
1 can Italian Bread Crumbs
1 cup Skim Milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut your string cheese into as many 1 inch pieces as you'd like. Coat with skim milk first, then bread crumbs and place on greased baking sheet. Place in preheated oven until golden brown, or you see the cheese running out of the breading. As I used buttermilk instead of skim milk you may not have that problem. If you visit the link above you'll see that the op just watched the cheese balls until they were ready. Pic from OP

Just found some pictures of the finished products...


This first picture here, is of me taking out the Sweet Baby Ray's chicken. It turned out pretty good, but would have been better if I had let it sit for a few minutes before serving it.


There, right in front of my perfectly focused, fat belly are the cheese balls. You can almost make out how they oozed out of the breading a little bit. There in the foreground are the garlic, butter green beans we ate with our meal. I, now, feel much better about this blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment